Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Day 9 - Looking Forward To...

I am looking forward to having my foot and ankle healed! 

Twenty years ago I broke my right ankle and required surgery where they implanted a metal plate with two screws on one side and a pin on the other side. That hardware is no longer giving me joy! I've been in a lot of pain for the past 5 weeks and it is difficult to walk, stand, or sit for long periods of time. It has wreaked havoc on my sleep and done an unpleasant number on my mental health. 

On the 16th I will have surgery to have the hardware removed from my right ankle. I will be down for 2 weeks in a sling and then a boot for at least the two weeks following that. While I am certainly not looking forward to surgery or the healing time, it is totally worth it if it means no more (or at least way less) pain and improved mobility. 

On my left foot, I have extensor tendonitis (a fancy term for inflamed tendon). I have an extra bone in my foot and the doctor believes that this extra bone is rubbing on that tendon keeping it from ever fully healing. When we took Tai to college, I was in a boot for it and that provided great relief but shortly after that the discomfort returned and has been annoying me ever since.  

Since it's not optimal to be in two boots at one time, we are addressing the most painful situation first. Following the right ankle healing, we will address the left foot. 

I sincerely look forward to having two fully functioning ankles and feet. I can feel the end in sight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment