Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

The Size of A Fist

Here is a sample of a pretty common conversation at our house...

Child: "I love you mom."
Me: "I love you too."
Child: "I love you more."
Me: "My fist is bigger, so my heart is bigger, so I love you MORE."

(Known fact: The human heart is roughly the size of a fist.)

Last night's conversation...

Genna: "I love you mom."
Me: "I love you too Genna."
Genna: "I love you more mom. AND my hand is bigger than yours (it is!) and so my fist is bigger and so I love you MORE." 
Me: "How can your hands have possibly gotten bigger than mine. I still love you more because I'm the mom."

This has been on my mind all day. My kids grew. Their legs grew, their feet grew, their arms grew, and yes, even their hands grew. Some of the kids have outgrown me. Some of the kids are close to outgrowing me. Some of the kids will outgrow me someday. Some of them won't. 

My love grew too. I didn't know I could love them more than the day I first met them. Much like I didn't know that meeting them would make my love for them grow more than it was when I carried them in my womb. It's a love that grows every day, even when I don't like what they are doing. 

Thank you "google" because I needed a way to combat this "heart is bigger" business and I didn't know exactly how to explain to them that I would always love them more. It's a love that I can't even really explain to myself. Well for now I'm safe because according to Google, "a child's heart is roughly the size of a fist. An adults heart is roughly the size of TWO fists!" 

So for now...

Mom: "I love YOU more because according to google, MY heart is twice the size of yours." 

1 comment: