Pages

Friday, June 23, 2023

Ann Arbor

 It started as a joke. "Tai, you cannot take W with you to Michigan because I will miss him too much." Of course, she argued with me that they could, and would, take W with them. I wasn't expecting, "Mom, just come with us." 

I laughed and said that wasn't possible and that I didn't want to be a 3rd wheel on their vacation and how could I leave Dad and R and the rest of the crew for 4 days and on and on. 

I went to Michigan with them. I told people it was so I could help with W since they would be driving through the night while he slept and they would need someone to hang out with him when they slept and he was super awake. That WAS actually the plan but it didn't really happen like that because I couldn't fall asleep in the car and J got sick. 

So late on a Thursday night, we loaded up and headed for Ann Arbor. W did great! He woke up a few times but then would settle back in with his bottle and live aquarium feeds on YouTube. Each time he'd wake up, he'd give me a look like "Why are you still here?!"

Lots of laughing, a stop at the World's Largest Truck Stop on I-80, a VERY early morning breakfast at Denny's where I actually made Tai pay for a coffee cup instead of her just sticking it in her diaper bag. There were some weird conversations, one in particular about a rotating cow that made me "mad" because I got sucked into the silliness of it all. Oh, and by the way, never, never, ever eat sushi from a truck stop at 4:00 am. It will stick with you for a bit. 

Once we got to Ann Arbor, we had a quick lunch at Shake Shack and headed to the hotel to get checked in. We stayed at The Graduate because that's where L works and she got everyone a discount. It was super cute, although possibly haunted? After being awake for 36 hours, and some Detroit-style pizza, it was finally time to get some sleep. 

Saturday morning started with L's baby shower, the whole reason for the trip. It was beautiful. L & T got some great things for them and the baby, we played a couple of games and had some of the best pineapple I've ever tasted. We went to the lounge for lunch and then a quick nap. T & J went out for dinner that night leaving W and I on our own. We went on a walk around the neighborhood and had some of the most delicious salmon ever tasted, once again at the lounge in the hotel. W gave me the silent treatment for part of the evening because he was mad that I had to put him back in his stroller to go back to our room. It's a good thing he's so cute because boy does he have some attitude. 

On Sunday we walked around downtown and enjoyed a Farmer's Market, way more like a craft fair but it was really neat. We had some great Mexican food and ice cream and got some souvenirs for everyone. After another short nap at the hotel, we headed back to another section of downtown and had dinner. Since it was Father's Day, we let J pick the spot and he did well. They had these HUGE bowls of pho and I went with a bibimop that had some great flavor. 

On Monday, it was time to say goodbye to Ann Arbor. We loaded up and hit the road toward Chicago. I think W had finally gotten used to seeing me every time he looked around. I loved every minute of spending time with him and getting to see him discover how to clap and all his sloppy kisses and giggles. We stopped in another cute little town for lunch at an old tavern/hotel. The food was ridiculously priced but tasty. 

Once in Chicago, we walked all around Millennium Park. Saw and touched the Bean, W absolutely loved such a big mirror. He got to swing and slide and mom played with him in the splash ground just enough for him to have wet hair. We worked our way to Garret's Popcorn and if you know, you know, and if you don't know, you need to! Minus the availability of public bathrooms, it was a great adventure. We then had our Chicago-style deep dish at Giordano's and waddled our way back to the parking garage to head back to Nebraska. 

T did an amazing job getting us safely through Chicago both ways. It might have been a little fast for my liking sometimes but I was grateful for her skill to maneuver us through the heavy traffic. 

For something that started as a joke and ended in a 4-day trip full of lots of walking and lots of relaxing and lots of laughter and lots of yummy food, I'd definitely be willing to make that joke again. 

Now we are back to reality and the boxes are piling up as we get ready for our big move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment